Today... I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I got the call... Not an inner call from soul though. This was a call for jury duty. And I had to go downtown and sit through jury selection process for a civil court case. I wasn't selected... but it was an experience. I was impressed by the court employees efforts to make it a more or less pleasant experience. I was even impressed by the judge who made an effort to connect with the jurors during the questioning part of the selection process. The lawyers for the plaintiff and defendant... KISS UPS.
The most interesting piece is this - the defendant was Coca Cola. I was shocked. I love coke. I have many coca cola memorabilia. Even Coca Cola Christmas ornaments (I kept wondering if I should mention that). It was so surreal. The odds of me being considered for jury duty for a case involving my favorite soft-drink.... they have to be incredibly slim.
At any rate, the prospective jurors were asked a wide array of questions. Mine included... what I thought about lawsuits and what kind of art do I make. Cuz I put "Artist" for occupation. The lawsuit question was one I stumbled on. The way the lawyer asked me what I thought of lawsuits... it was so strange I didn't understand what he was asking. The third question I was asked was how I make my decisions. Which is mostly by intuition, and the times I took more analytic approaches didn't work for me. And it's over. I wasn't selected for the jury. I guess an unemployed artist who never bought a house or a car and follows his gut isn't a fit for a lawsuit. I was sent home and thanked for my service.
On the drive home the "Low Coolant" light lit up on the dashboard. That on top of a flashing "Service Engine Soon" light. Which means... a trip to the mechanic is around the corner. Specifically, I'm calling them in the morning with the hope of being able to drop it off tomorrow before they close so they can work on it on Wednesday. Another day of out of my routine... though not as dramatic as a civil court case involving my favorite soft-drink.